5 Things You Can Do At Home To Improve Your AC Efficiency
Your AC system can account for up to 50% of your total electricity bill during the hot months in Southeast Texas. Now that the hot weather is here, Majestic AC has put together a quick list of 5 things you can do at home to help your AC run as efficiently as possible. These tips are low and no-cost suggestions that you can do easily.
- Make sure your AC system has clean filters. We cannot stress enough the importance of clean air filters in your home. Clogged AC filters not only impede air flow through your AC system but can introduce allergens and pollutants to the air you breathe. SO make it easier on you, your family and your AC system and make sure you replace your air filters regularly. The frequency depends on your lifestyle. Check out our article about air filters here.
- Keep your windows and outside doors closed. An open exterior door or window can let cool air escape very quickly due to the pressure difference. Try and keep these doors and windows closed as much as possible. If you plan on opening a window or exterior door for a good length of time, turn off your AC system. Remember the wise words from your parents: “We are not air conditioning the whole neighborhood!”
- Set your thermostat and let it do its job. Constantly moving your thermostat settings will make your AC run more and increase the on and off cycles. A programmable thermostat can help your system run efficiently as well as keep your family comfortable year round. And since we are talking about thermostats, make sure its set at a reasonable temperature. Setting the temperature real low will not necessarily cool your home any faster and can keep your AC running longer.
- Take care of your outdoor condenser. Make sure your outside unit has plenty of air flow. This means keeping the outside clean of debris by routinely washing it down with your water hose. Additionally, keep obstructions like bushes and plants at least two feet away. Shading your condenser from the sun will help it run more efficiently as well.
- Keep your registers and interior doors open. Your AC system is a finely tuned machine. It is designed to run the most efficiently when all the vents/registers are open and your interior doors are open. This creates the best and most realistic air flow through your home for your AC system. You AC system is rated for a certain cooling load. Opening and closing vents or keeping all your rooms closed off may damage your system and reduce comfort.
Bonus Tip: Keep up with your AC Preventative Maintenance
Preventative maintenance maybe one of the most important services you can have done to keep your AC system running better and longer. Preventative maintenance checks all the integral parts of the HVAC system as well as cleans, lubricates and tightens everything inside and out. AC system replacement is costly. Proper maintenance can help prolong the serviceable life of your AC and keep your energy bills down.
Want to learn more about how to maintain your HVAC system?
Contact Majestic AC. Our team is here to help you get the most of your HVAC system. Trust you and your family’s comfort to the professionals at Majestic AC.